Friday, July 25, 2008

Who is your neighbor?


Yesterday as I was reading 1 Cor 5 I came across a couple of interesting verses. I Cor 5:9-11

" I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people- not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy, and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing you that you must not associate wit anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat."

I have gone to church all my life. My list of denominations that I have called home is vast- baptist, catholic, nazarene, non-denominational, pentecostal, post chapel. We have seen lots of the christian life in the many years of our raising and faith walk. All too often there has been an unspoken (and sometimes spoken) message of "don't associate with those kind of people" - meaning folks who do not go to church. Yet here Paul is saying that it is not the unchurched who struggle with sin issues that we are to not associate with- rather it is the those who claim belief in Christ but are stuck in bondage to a sin issue.

I have come to realise that we all struggle with sin issues. That we all are struggle with a some kind of idolatry, immorality, greed and/or selfishness. Often we mask it a bit more when we are in the church decieving ourselves but oftne not those who watch our lives. Christ calls us to total surrender and disclosure, no more deception. He doesn't require it of the unbeliever, he accepts that they are blind to their sin and walk in it openly often enough. It is not a relationship breaker, rather it is a reason for relationship. He desires those who need Him- it is why He came - not for the saints but for the sinners.

A few years ago I evaluated my life and relationships and realized that all those I called friend were folks who went to church. I was challenged to consider how I can be salt and light to folks who already place their trust in God. I began to adjust my thinking. I now delight in getting to know folks who dont go to church, who walk a different path. I have learned to relax a bit about differences and outward appearances.

When I ask the question "who is your neighbor?" i am serious. I tend to be a shy, quiet person in large gatherings yet I am a gal who loves to live in a neighborhood- one where we know our neighbors. We live on a residental country road of about 20 houses. I have lived here 2 years and have met folks fromabout 3/4 of those houses. Many I have an ongoing relationship with, others it was a brief encounter, just enough to know a name and establish a bit of contact. I think of my neighbors often, praying for them and considering ways to love them well.

I grow a vegetable garden for a few reasons. I love fresh tomatoes, so do my neighbors. I enjoy squash , so do they. I think I am the only one with a garden on the street this year, so I share and use that as a bridge for relationships. Last year we shared some veggies with a neighbor who we had limited contact with, , within the hour the husband came and extended an invitation to my husband for a visit. We now have more contact and an ongoing relationship. I thank God for the garden and offer its harvest as an offering for His kingdom.

Many of the neighbors are brothers in the faith. Some are not, some it is unknown where their faith walk is. We try to love them all the same. Jesus does. Where sin abounds we understand the root of it, we dont condemn them, we love them. where differences in lifestyle occur we acknowledge that with our children and establish what is truth and what we believe to be proper yet we continue to love and be open to relationship.

I live far from my church, so far that it is often disstractor from attending more than twice a week ( I really am a homebody). My fellowship is not so much with church folks, it is more with my neighbors. I have struggled with that a bit,having thought it should be the other way around, but have settled it in my heart. We live here to be salt and light, blessing and encouragement to those around us.

When I am with the body I encourage and connect but God also has other folks he wants me to shine before and glorify Him. I call them neighbors and friends, they tell us that we cannot leave ... "we dont have permission"... "you better not move". I think it has been worth the risk to reach out, to know who lives next door, down the street and who moved into the new house. It is nice to know who I wave to, and to have them wave back with genuine care as we pass by. It is a blessing to pray for the parents, children and deployed spouses of my neighbors.

Who is your neighbor? Who is waiting to be known on your street? If you are lonely perhaps part of the solution is in reaching out to your neighbor? Perhaps your neighbor is lonely for your fellowship and relationship? One never knows what blessings getting to know the one who lives near you might bring. I'd love to hear of what blessings you have found in your neighborhood.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written and thought prevoking! I'm glad that you are praying for and lovin' on us because we would truely be lost with out ya'll. And sister, keep the tomatoes comin'!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, please share your thoughts.