Saturday, July 5, 2008

God's forsight was seen today


For months I knew this day was to come. At the start I longed to deny its need, but alas the day came when the brick foundation wall had to come down to make room for repairs of rotted wood. Months have passed since then with the wall repaired and the bricks from the destruction cleaned of mortar.

Today was a true work day at our house. The boys worked on moving wood to new location for future pole barn building. My husband worked on closing in a side of the screen porch as it will soon become a 3 season room. My task was to begin to rebuild the brick wall that circles the house. In many homes it covers the cinderblocks. In ours it covers some of the foundation and then rises a bit more over the wood before the siding takes over to cover the exterior walls of the house.

As we mixed the mortar and I prepared for the job ahead I reflected upon how over 28 years ago the God of the universe looked forward in time and knew that I would need this skill. As I quickly set to work, with ease of knowing what the task ahead needed for tools, procedure and completion I marveled at how easy it was to lay a course of brick because it was a familiar skill, even after all these years.

Between my junior and senior year I spent the summer on a mission trip in Rioacha Colombia helping to construct a two room schoolhouse. At that time it was a huge step of faith as I was the girl in the family that longed for the inside jobs and cried as I worked hauling leaves and hating every moment of it. I recall standing by the cement mixing station, having finished mixing mortar and marveling that I was there and was there with joy- knowing it was a working of God in my life. That summer I laid brick, hauled sand and did any work asked, without tears or pity parties that I had at home. God had changed my heart.

Fast forward 28 years and I am again playing in the "mud"- laying bricks and finding joy in it. I thought of how gracious God was to prepare me for today all those years ago. How only He would know the skill needed today and the confidence that I would have to procede. How it would bless my husband to see me exhibit the skill and knowledge of the task, relieving him of it. I heard the pride in his voice as he spoke to a neighbor of the task. I thought of how I was living out Proverbs 31:17
"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."

What a blessing that God would allow my arms to be strong for the task- recently I have had struggles with pulled muscles and pain in the tendons yet today I was able to lay 3 course of brick without struggle.

Often I think of how I expect to see God in the big things of life, not in the mud. Today I saw Him in the mud, in the joy of the moment prepared for in years passed. I thanked him for the training sessions in Colombia so I was ready in Toney. It made what could have been stressful and uncertain or costly (hiring a mason) a morning of joyful productiveness! Thank you Lord for strong arms. Thank you now for rest!

2 comments:

  1. Mud ROCKS yeah Mama

    mud mama mud
    Love you

    (you know run moma run)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I love seeing God in the little things! I'm so glad he spoke to you this way.

    PS. I can NOT imagine you disliking outdoor labor!! You're a powerhouse in that arena!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, please share your thoughts.