Thursday, July 3, 2008

Life unexpected

This past month has been full of the unexpected- some good, some not so good, but all of it life in full color.

Saturday I noticed the plant upstairs needed watering, but decided to wait. Sunday morning I took it my unconsumed water- a blessing to the plant and possibly the lifespan of our house. What I met in the hall was a strange "electronic" smell that I was unable to find the source of. My husband soon investigated and we eventually found a battery charger, plugged in and in the midst of a meltdown- due to "regular" batteries. Had we gone to church without the trip upstairs I don't know what we would have come home to. I am thankful for the trip upstairs and a nose that works.

We made an unexpected trip to the North east-" home"-we had relatives who were ill and we realized it had been too long since we traveled there. The drive went well, the beauty of the eastern passageway one I had forgotten. Even Penn. roads were not as bumpy as I expected. I anticipated much discussion of politics and weather- the norm. Rather we saw and heard the bitterness of the lives lived as consequences for past choices came home. How sad and grievious it was to watch those you love walk through suffering that stemmed from a life without the Lord. How hard it was for me, how much harder it must be for God who longs to care for them yet they continue to walk in independence. I went with one expectation, I came away with new reality, a much sadder one, and no rose colored glasses to shield my heart from its reality.

My mom lives in a "cabin in the woods". I have always loved to go there, and each time I visit I enjoy it more. This past visit it was like a cool brook to my thirsty soul. I longed for peace and tranquilty, for rest after so much busy going. It delivered it again with cool green places, with the joy of a grandmother enjoying her grandson by sharing a game. Productive work that replaced occupation alone. We traveled and did a "tourist tour" which I was uncertain of but found it very enjoyable. We were able to picnic for lunch until the rain chased us to the cars. It was nice to share time and life with many family members and have some "girl time".

As June passed I found that I was slowly resting up from the busy season passed. As July comes it has an openness that is nice. I am finding time to make visits that have been put off. We start the day with a few hours of chores and tasks then have a slower pace. Our list of "to do's " has shrunk as soon a crew of men will decend and repair the outside of the house and rend it greatly "maintance free" so the fear of more wood rot will no longer be in the back of our mind. At this point we are in prep mode for the change- not a project we expected 2 years ago when we moved here but one we decided was wise to embark upon at this time to save future battles with house issues.

The garden is blossoming, the beans and squash are abundant. The tomatoes slow to ripen but soon will be overwhelming me with work. I have revisited a blackberry patch from last year, this years rains have brought plump berries so I was able to make jam for the first time with blackberries. I find that again I relive my childhood as July comes and I go out early to pick berries. Each morning it is fun to explore what is ready to pick for fresh enjoyment.

I never expected the life I live. I don't know if I had a vision of what my life would be, but it is in so many ways richer than I ever imagined. I am able to spend time with those I love, enjoy digging in the dirt- ha! what a change for the girl who once cried because she had to do outside work, now I often outwork my boys outside. It is a quieter summer with my daughter away, but even in that is good as I look down the road toward the days when she will be a phone call and letter away rather than a seat away at the table.

1 comment:

  1. it's always a treat to hear from you and your heart.

    your photos are great -- love the boots and garden shots.

    isn't it funny how our groups grow up? andy leaves july 30 -- t.j. leaves aug. 16 for college. and i'm doing a full-time sub job, aug. 1 - sept. 12. busy times.

    much love to y'all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, please share your thoughts.