Tuesday, July 22, 2008

We praise Him after the stormy day!


Wow- what a day we've had here in Toney. It started as a simple day at home waiting for the A/c guy to diagnose what is going on with the a/c. It was all that and more.

Amidst doing laundry I went to check on the dryer outlet. Last week I updated the dryer venting by installing a dryerbox in the wall behind the dryer, and then rerouted the venting pipe using dryer-ell's this time instead of conventional elbows. Huge difference and I am thrilled with the air pressure leaving the house after 20' of pipe. Today I wanted to check to assure myself again that all was really fixed. As I checked on the exhaust I noticed lots of "mouse dung" on the bricks underfoot, it wasn't there last week, and I was puzzled. I soon realized that it was bat guano and there was a group taking a snooze in the eaves of an unfinished overhang.

My daughter, the animal adventerer, came out and we checked out the bats that had wedged themselves into the small dark spaces and under the shingles overhead. My mind quickly formulated a plan to eliminate and keep them out until the guys who are about to side and soffit the house get to the job. Yet the beady eyes and icky beings of bats were there and I did not want to look at them, so I felt I would have to wait until dusk. Later as I watered the plants it occurred to me that maybe the bats would not like a shower and choose to leave. I quickly set up the bat roost shower and sure enough they did not want to stay and left for a dryer sleeping location. What we thought was 4-6 bats, it turned out to be 12- 15 or more. I ducked down as they flew passed the stream of water in search of dryer resting places so I didnt get an exact count. Two were reluctant, but departed soon after my daughter's gloved hand and poking stick approached them. I love a brave animal relating daughter because I am not so.

We "guarded" the area from reinhabitation until it was curtained off with screening, ductape and staples to hold it all in place. We hope that they do not return, but should they we will again offer them a drink and shower and let them know that it is daily available until they give us a bad hosting rating. I felt triumphant to have helped them relocate so quickly and inexpensively- a neighbor had an attic infestation and it cost them $$$ to get rid of the bats and bat bugs that roamed their home.

If that wasn't enough excitement the day continued on with two mighty rain, hail, lightening and thunder storms. We were again given an opportunity to camp at home as the power was out. It was kind of fun to stop life and play monopoly with my youngest in the dim light. Amidst the gaming I heard a "whoosh" sound- a 30 ft tree chose that moment to lay down on the lawn. It was a perfect drop- it just laid straight down parallel to driveway and fence. It looked like a professional tree surgeon had supervised the job- and so God did!

This weekend we will again have a family work day as we divide up the downed tree and our neighbor will join us as he begins the first warming of the wood in his life. The next will come with the moving of it, the splitting of it and then the burning of it! He smiles in delight at the thought of the warmth that it will provide for his family and savings at the propane truck visits.

We praise God for His protection from the storm, for the guidance of the tree, for the secure house and home. We praise him for a cool day, so we will sleep comfortably even though the a/c repairman never made it out- hopefully tomorrow. We praise him for rainy days to enjoy, neighbors to share it with and the blessing of rain in abundance.

1 comment:

  1. great to hear from you! andy leaves in a week - july 30. please continue to pray for the year apart and for purity and integrity of us all.

    isn't it great seeing God show up and show off in our lives?! thanks for your updates!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, please share your thoughts.