Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Learning to Let Go


Today I began my babysteps towards the season of "the empty nest". My little girl (17) went off to camp for her first job away from home. She will be a junior counselor at a girls camp 2.5hrs away for about 7 weeks this summer. Big step for both of us.

I always think of her as confident and capable yet as we arrived she was happy for my company as she found the beginning of the checking process and then worked her way through the lines. I hung around until she passed the health check in and was heading off to lunch. She was gracious to endure a few more hugs than she would have desired before I went off down the mountain.

The camp is beautiful and well established. From the dorm ceilings hang boards of past sessions with names of past campers. New and old buildings are nestled into the well treed grounds. A rope swing and porch swings call to you to stop and visit or take a break. The possibilities of activities await her and all who will arrive this summer.

And so I let go and let God care for my treasure, my daughter, allowing her to spread her wings a bit, to grow and be stretched. To share company with older girls, hoping that she will find ones to connect with, treasure memories with and enjoy creating a memorable summer for many little ones.

I have heard of her zeal for action and adventure- my unicycling wonder, my white water rafter and tree climber. So her summer of trying new things has begun. Her room will be quiet and I will write letters to encourage. It is the beginning of letting go and moving forward for me, as a mother and a woman. Of looking down the road at the transition that awaits as each of the children seek the path that lies before them for their own adventure.

For some it is a few years away, for others many, but for each it will come. One day it will be time to pass on the marythemom@hotmail.com to another mom, to allow another to carry that title. It is time to look down the road and begin to consider life after marythemom, when I am just Mary- the creative, the gardener, the book reader, the builder, the????? When my day is not filled with caring for younger ones and listening to the heart of the child. I know they will still share but it will be from afar, not from under the roof always.

So, today as I drove away leaving her in a foreign place it was not with fear but renewed faith that my God, her God, our God is caring for her so much more than I can and do. What a grand adventure, to pass the baton and watch her begin to run her own race down the path God has for her.

So, E-beth as you read this know I am standing here cheering you on. You go girl, enjoy the adventure and share that which lies within you with those around you. May God continue to be your wisdom, strength and joy through this summer!

5 comments:

  1. Mary, just Mary. You need to remember "friend" as part of your titles and well-deserved characteristics. My friend.

    Beautifully written about a young lady I have known since she was one. And yes, gracious is a good word for her.

    Enjoy your summer. Ours is already filling up -- but maybe a quick trip to AL could be worked out before Andy leaves for Korea the last week in July (1-year tour). Hugs to you and your group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isnt God good. He blesses with a treasure. He allows is to be a part of the shaping of that treasure for His work. Once ready we have to trust that God has prepared her and us well for the work God has for our little treasure. It also frees you for the work yet to be accomplished by your hads for Gods kingdom. Everyone is getting a change to step into a new career with our great God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mommmmmm hehe THANKS even if it was mushy and yes i will always chat with you even from afar love u



    gag gag :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there. Have you heard from The Girl yet? How is her summer going? Marti will do the same thing at the end of July but just for one week. Love the side photos on your blog -- beautiful -- and I can really see all your creative work. Miss y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha can you guess what baby girl just did a face plant off her uni? (no worries i am ok) or can you guess what baby girl forgot to turn her head lights off? (guess whos battery gets to be shocked into action) dont worry i am doing fine life is good this weekend i plan to sleep love you
    gag

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, please share your thoughts.