Sunday, February 15, 2009

Reading the Word


Last week as I was brainstorming with my bear about a class he would lead I remembered an event that I attended in North Carolina. It was a day of reading the Word of God with several fellow believers. What was different about that day was that we read books of the Bible, corporately and chronologically, out loud.

The morning started with prayer and a bit of organization of how many verses each would read in turn and then when we as a group would jointly read. What joy it was for all the pieces of a gospel to be put into order and connect. Slowly around the room, one after another each of us would stand and read aloud 6-10 verses and then on to the next person and verses. We all read along quietly, allowing the gospel story and message to sink in. Every few chapters all in the room would stand and in unison we'd read together.

By lunch time we had finished a gospel and were on our way through an epistle. As we sat under the Word we found the stories of Jesus's birth, life and travels connecting. What once seemed like individual stories were now part of the bigger picture. God's story. The same was found true when we read through an epistle- instructions for the early church now were not snippets of information but a letter to a group of believers facing struggles even as we do.

This past week we chose to lead the group in a read through the epistle to the Ephesians. It was a first for most in the room. As we read through the book we found common focus and the application of this book to our lives. This was a letter for building up the body, we are a body in the midst of learning to grow up and disciple others. For some it was a first to see where some of the messages from Paul were located. Many shared a verse or two that struck them. My verse was Eph 5:10 "and find out what pleases God" .

Hmmm, "find out what pleases God", part of me assumes I know what pleases God but part of me wonders how much I don't know. this verse challenged me to take time to investigate, meditate adn contemplate- lots of ating to go on :) . I have in the past asked the Lord to help my heart weep over what makes His heart weep, helping me to be tender to what touches His heart. In the same wayI am now thinking a bit about what pleases God. I expect some of what pleases Him is not what I am accustom to doing, so there may be some changes ahead.

Another stretch I experienced that day was reading the Word aloud. In the afternoon I did it at home, in preparation for the class. Then corporately, with classmates. It was interesting to hear a few speak of how they often read aloud- getting the Word through the ear and eye gate. One gentleman spoke of being hoarse from his reading earlier in the day. That has encouraged me, his testimony of his quiet time with the Lord that isnt so quiet, but I am quite sure quite contemplative.

So, next time you pick up the Word of God, try something new- read a book. The whole book, in one sitting, and out loud. You may find that some of the dots of the pages connect. Some of the stories are richer if there is a tale told in many stages. If its a letter you may well come away with a more complete view of the writers intent. At first it may well seem odd to read aloud, but if you are like me, its just a matter of getting over self awareness and remembering to whom you are reading and the delight that the Father will gain in you reading back to Him his love story to you.

Any thoughts? please share, until then enjoy a good read. I am thinking its time to spend a bit more time in Ephesians- try out a few versions and let it really soak into my heart. I continue to seek out what pleases God.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Thanks, my friend. I am going to try that...now you have me excited to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you think we could get Scott to let us lead one of these much like at the house? On a Saturday morning? they are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, please share your thoughts.