Saturday, January 26, 2008

The amazing power of a dad


I am continually awed by the power of dads. They are amazing in the awe and respect that they get from their families if they have established themselves well. The one who resides here has, and so it was with awe and delight that I watched him move through the kids rooms today.

This morning I asked my dear husband to do a room inspection. The younger boys room had had a through dejunking a month ago as we reorganized the space. Our daughter had recently received a bed with storage beneath and had reorganized but had continually assured me that the piles I kept seeing all over were necessity and could not be eliminated. It was starting to look like landmind field of books and pillows. Our other son tends toward packrat tendencies. The paper stash is amazing. He isn't fazed by the abundance of outdated receipts, notes and flyers that have accumulated. I have offered to help him learn the process of sorting it all out, but he has repeatedly assured me that he was fine. My subtle hints and requests had seemed to fall on deaf ears in the area of order to be applied to some of the rooms. I knew that for Dad it might get a different response.

He announced the inspection at breakfast and the kids retreated to their rooms soon thereafter. Our son had prepped his room, but knew more would be needed so reasoned that an inspection was timely to save him later hassles. He requested us to begin to inspect. The status of the floor was improved but still had a few stray hideaway packing materials and boxes. The pesky papers remained atop the dresser, waiting for permanent storage in the black "T" file. Dad then was able to state clearly and without the emotional conversation I often find myself bogged down in, the struggle and difficulty of not dejunking on a routine basis. He was able to cut through the excuses, misunderstanding and quickly establish a plan, a deadline and a clear consequence if appropriate action was not taken. Amazing.


Next on to the girl's room- the one with several piles and organized chaos as a rule. The dad factor arrived. I was in awe. Our daughters floor was visible in its entirety- somehow she did it- she found the secret places or the forgotten hide outs for all the books, clothes and miscellaneous that had found gravity spots about her room. He was able to venture into the closet and cupboard, ask questions and get clear answers. She received his joking and set to make things right - without complaint or fuss. Amazing.


By this point I was in awe, but Superdad's morning inspection was not complete, he went on to demonstrate clothes folding and inspired the boys to complete the needed tasks to bring order to their room. It was done with humor and levity and though not "fun" there was not the emotional drag out and whining that sometimes occurs on my watch.

Oh, I wish I was a dad some days. He makes it look easy. I know its not, that it is part of his job description and that he often feels the big heavy authority figure coming down. He just seems to do it with ease and grace and the kids respond with honor and respect.

Amazing the power of a dad- to inspire and motivate and direct offspring so quickly.

1 comment:

  1. I find mom's amazing as well. They don't think twice about kissing a boo boo. OR about asking how you really are. They do a great job of holding it together most of the time and frequently us men forget the gals are key to us being quality men.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, please share your thoughts.